- the word assumption was first used with reference to the reception of the Virgin Mary into Heaven
- etymologically, such means 'so formed'
- archive is based on Greek arkhe 'government' and it evolved to mean 'public office or records'
- a motto is a short phrase that usually expresses a moral aim or purpose; a slogan is a catch phrase used by a political party or other organization in advertising or promotion
- snogging is kissing and cuddling
- wallet was first a bag for holding goods for a journey, a bag for provisions
- elaborate first meant 'produced by effort of labor' and as a verb it meant 'to produce a substance from elements or simple constituents'