interesting things to learn about words
- free goes way back to a base meaning 'to love'
- a preterist lives in the past and is constantly nostalgic
- a drop cookie is one formed by dropping a spoonful of dough onto the baking sheet
- the transparency and luster of a diamond is its water
- aggro is deliberate troublemaking (an abbreviation of aggravation or aggression)
- cider comes from Greek sikera and Hebrew shekar 'strong drink' and at first denoted an intoxicating beverage
- leech used to mean 'cure, heal' as a verb and 'healer, physician' as a noun
buy the book!
Interesting Things to Learn About Words is a collection of a-really-interesting-thing-you-probably-do-not-know about 20,000 words and phrases. The tidbits include word history and etymology, unusual or lost or uncommon words, grammar instruction and usage, word trivia, differences between confusable words, and how words are formed.